Thursday, April 1, 2010

Lincoln Park Zoo - Mar. 31, 2010

Yesterday Heather, Geoffrey, Brian and I went to the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago.  It's amazing!  What is most amazing is that admission is FREE!  Yes, that's right....free.  Parking is not free and food is not free but admission is.  It was our first time there.  I learned a couple things.  First, get there early in order to make sure that a parking place can be found.  We got one of the last 3 parking spaces in one of the lots close to the zoo.  Could not find a spot in the actual zoo parking and couldn't find street parking either.  Second, it would be better to bring a picnic lunch than to buy lunch there.  It's not the prices that bothered me as much as waiting in line forever and then after lunch we got in the ice-cream line and horror of horrors - they ran out of ice-cream (a serious sin in our family).  I would also like to thank the very nice woman who gave Brian a bottle of water after she saw him spill his on the ground.  He was looking at the sea lions and was so engrossed he forgot to put the top back on his water bottle and then spilled it.  I didn't catch her name but whoever you are....thank you!  




They have the COOLEST water fountains.  Here are 2 of them.



Brian's hand is no match for a polar bear paw.


Do you see the giraffe in the background?


This bear is taking a nap in his hammock.  I thought this was very funny.  He looks quite comfortable.







The "Endangered Species Carousel"


All in all yesterday was a great day.  We picked up Brent (Dad) from his office on our way home and stopped at Dairy Queen for the ice-cream we couldn't get at the zoo.

4 comments:

Tanners said...

looks so fun!

Ben and Linda Lee said...

Amazing zoo. When we lived in Milwaukee we went to that zoo. The admissions isn't free though. Those water fountains are neat. It reminded me that in Milwaukee the call water fountains, bubblies. I am not sure why. The zoo is definitely a fun place.

Stace said...

Cool zoo. I liked hearing about the icecream time and Brian's water. MIke and I love zoos. We are always more excited than the kids. Remeber Catskill Game farm? Those were fun times.

Roberta said...

We are not big into Zoo's. But then again we live in UT where there really isn't a "good" zoo. Ehh, Brian can take that polar bear down! Why are you all in short sleeves? What the heck kind of weather are YOU having?

My Blog

This blog started as a way to let family and friends who don't live close to us see what was going on in our lives. It has also become a kind of family journal/scrapbook. Enjoy!