We have had quite the odyssey the past little bit with water problems in our home. This past December, while we were away in NY for Christmas vacation, the basement toilet leaked and that had to be taken care of when we got back. Totally new carpet and everything re-painted (except Christian's bedroom at the other end of the basement from the bathroom). The first week of August Brent and I went to the midnight showing of the new Bourne movie as part of our anniversary celebration. I'd never been to a midnight showing before. Anyway, while we were out Geoffrey got up to use the bathroom (an upstairs bathroom) and the toilet started overflowing - he tried to stop it by gently lifting the lever with the buoy but it broke off in his hands - so now the toilet is continuously overflowing. He ran down into the basement and got Christian but they didn't know how to stop the water. They ran to our neighbors and our neighbor turned off the water to that toilet. (Needless to say, we have now shown our kids how to turn off the water to the toilets and to the whole house.) The kids did try to call us but we had our phones on silent because we were watching the movie and thinking that everyone at home was sleeping. So much water overflowed and it ran into the ceiling of the living room on the first floor and down the walls and soaked the carpet on one corner of the living room. The entire ceiling had to be torn out and replaced and the entire room re-painted - including removing crown molding, etc. We finally get it all fixed and we get our front room back. It'd been about a week since the contractor finished the work and we had everything back in the room - even the books back on the bookshelf. I decide to sit in the front room and read a book. I hear a hissing noise in the wall. I go to investigate and feel wet carpet again. At this point I totally panicked. I ran upstairs to check if the water was coming from that bathroom again but it wasn't. I ran down to the basement and there was water streaming into the basement utility room and the carpet in Christian's room was getting wet on the side that borders the utility room. We turned the water off to the entire house. It's Saturday evening. We called our insurance and we called back Servpro - the company that cleans up the water damage. We also had to call a plumber. We can't stay in our home without water. Well, it turns out the contractor put a nail through a pipe that was in the wall. The plumber said it happens all the time. As I type this it is Oct 19th and everything has been repaired and fixed (again!) and we have our front room back. Christian's room has new carpet and has been re-painted as well. We are crossing our fingers that this is it for a LONG time!
 |
| it was a nail they used to put the baseboard back in place |
|
 |
| there's the hole |
No comments:
Post a Comment